Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I gave in and let him eat salad!

As most of you who know me well know, I have an unnatural fear of Sullivan choking. As a result of this fear, he has never had raw carrots, salad, hard candy, whole hot dogs and many other items that I think may cause choking. In the last 2 months I did start letting him have apples as long as I cut them. I saw on facebook where a girlfriend of mine was feeding her 3 year old son salad and my girlfriend with a 2 year old said that she can't get her son to eat salad. Sullivan always wants our salad so, last night I decided to let him have salad. I cut it up to my liking. It had lettuce, cheese, ham, tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, sunflower seeds and more on it. I dressed it with my favorite, fresh olive oil from Sicily and balsamic vinegar and he ate it like it was ice cream! Loved it! Kept saying, "Um Um Uh Mama." I could not believe it! I guess he will get salads with us from now on. Maybe the key is to deprive them long enough so they will want it. Hum...trickery at it's best!

4 comments:

Angie said...

That is so funny!! Definitely get that on video. ;)

Angie said...

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Just b/c other kids get things you wouldn't let Sullivan eat, isn't a bad thing! But congrats on him liking the salad!! Trickery can be the best....until they catch on! :D

Lori Parker said...

Ellie has been eating salad for a LONG time. I didn't encourage it... but she ate it off of my plate... covered in BLUE CHEESE dressing. Shocker. I cut all salad small b/c that's the way I like to eat it. Mmmmm...

As for a fear of choking. Ellie had three choking incidents... from various foods. When you have a toddler feeding things to the baby, you just never know... So I got the hang of the baby Heimlich... It is SO easy! It gave me the confidence to let Ellie eat anything she wanted, as long as I'm around.

That Sullivan sounds like he has his own ideas ;) Good luck, Momma!!! :)

Unknown said...

Girl, we are in the same boat. I have a horrible phobia of choking. i gag when I see people with things like toothepicks in their mouths.
I was the same way with Michael that you are with Sullivan, until I met Lori. She really helped me loosen up as a mom and let Michael try things. He eats salad, ice cream cones, prunes, grapes, ect and has never choked.
In the end though, you need to do what you are comfortable with. I would just say try not to pass your fear on to him. I am hoping that DH can balance me out some so that Michael does not have my same fear.
Grats though on letting him have a salad. It's healthy, and now he really wants it.